Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Here at last

We finally crossed the great pond to get here. I thought this day would never come. The jet lag is worse than we have ever experienced. Probably because of the long week at the MTC. It was not what we expected, I don't think they take into consideration the fact that OLD people don't catch on as quickly as the young bucks do. You can't imagine though the feeling of sitting in front of 2000 missionaries singing "Called to Serve". Pretty powerful.

We were shown our apartment this morning and it is great. A lot bigger than we had even hoped for. Even an extra bedroom we can use as an office. It is in the town of Merksem, Belgium. A small town feel with cute little shops everywhere. When I say we were shown the apartment I did not say we moved in yet. We will be spending the next couple of days just moving in all we can scrounge around here. We get left overs from other missionaries plus what ever we buy. For now we are crashing in a left over apartment for a couple of days. Ben has been putting IKEA furniture pieces together, and I have been trying to put together a kitchen. The mission office just rented this new apartment for us in a new area and so we are starting totally from scratch. Here in Europe you rent a bare to the wall apartment and add everything else yourself like light fixtures, cabinets, closets and whatever else you can get at IKEA and when you move out you take all that with you. I just found out that I will actually get a washer and dryer which will be fantastic. No dishwasher though and that does not bother me at all, I don't mind washing dishes be hand. We get a King size bed as well. Boy this is going to be tough.

The people here in Belgium rave about the French Fries and their chocolates. I have to admit they are good. So much for all the weight I lost before I came here. Well, back to moving. We will not be hooked up to the internet until probably Aug 14th so this may be all for a while. We happen to be in the mission office today and was able to use the internet here.

2 comments:

Jeremy and Heidi said...

Yay! Glad you made it safely there. Sounds like it is going to be a great experience. We're excited to hear about it through the Blog and Rachel!

The Baldwin Family said...

So happy to hear that you made it safely and have seen your place! I was just looking at the emails this morning that Ben sent to me:o) Then we get an email! Sooo excited to read about your new experiences and to be able to keep in contact! Lots of love to you! Kisses and Hugs :o* Pam & Family