



Not really but Ben tells me he can as long as he has on his klompen (wooden shoes). He actually wore a hole in the bottom of the pair he brought home from his first mission so our son Tim brought back a new pair for him several years ago.
There is a small wooden shoe factory close to here that has been in business since the 1700's The man who runs it now is a great great something of the first owner. Many of the missionaries in the mission order personalized wooden shoes from him and since we live the closest to the factory we are the ones who pick them up for the fellows. The owner and his son are always very friendly and allow us to bring people into the back to see how the klompen are made. Last week some friends from Antwerp came for a few days and we were able to give them a tour.
The background painting is a family secret but I learned how it is done a few weeks ago. I was shown the tool which is an old bike horn bulb. The glaze is made with a unique natural powder that is from somewhere here in the Netherlands. I may not be able to get the glaze but I can try the technique if someone out there has an old bike horn bulb. (Maybe I can try and use a turkey basting bulb?)
Upload Image
No comments:
Post a Comment