Monday, June 29, 2009

First Baptism in the Netherlands


We spent the day just driving around the Leeuwarden area. We found the place where the first baptism took place in the Netherlands on Oct 1, 1861 There is a small monument and a patch of grass that runs along a narrow canal and is well taken care of. I don't know who the caretakers are but I'm glad someone is watching over the place. It is in the middle of cow country and we really had to search to find it. On the way back we drove along some "polders" (Polders are areas of land that have been drained and taken back from the ocean). I took some great pictures but I will have to wait until we go back to Antwerpen tomorrow to down load them.

We even got the bikes out of the downstairs storage area and went for a ride along a canal and into the woods. It was beautiful but a little scary for me. I had not been on a bike since we were in Holland three years ago and I just had to get my first crash under my belt. The only thing that was damaged was my ego. Hopefully this bike thing gets better, after all there has to be a reason for everyone riding one. Children here learn to ride as soon as they learn to walk. We saw a man on a bike with a hitch on the back and he was pulling a canoe on wheels.

No comments: