We were finally able to meet with the bishop after being here this long. We were both invited to PEC meeting and Welfare meeting. PEC was a new experience for me but the bishop insisted that I come also. We were told that they are trilled to have us here. The Elders usually only stay for a couple of months and move on so it is impossible for them to really get to know the people. We will be here for 23 months and will really be able to get involved. We were asked to find the in-actives, (not even less-active) and find out why they are not coming. The problem is that investigators are only required to attend church 3 times and then they can be baptized. Most of the new converts do not even speak Dutch, so coming to church is not easy. You can only sit through so many meetings not understanding a word before you loose interest. We feel a little overloaded right now but I'm sure everything will work out.
Both of us have really had to jump in feet first. Ben has been asked to teach the High Priests and next month I am to teach Relief Society, in Dutch mind you not in English. I am really practicing my Flemish accent and am catching on faster that I thought I could. I will really be speaking in tongues.
For some reason they found out that I know how to lead the singing so guess who gets called on each week. I thought everyone knew how to lead but I guess not here. We sure take things for granted back in the states. I wish I would have learned how to play the piano. Warning to all of you, make your kids take piano lessons and practice because when they go on a mission it will be a huge blessing.
Friday, September 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment