Saturday, February 7, 2009

Just add water

One of the things our Elders miss from home is American Pancakes. Yes Belgian waffles are fantastic and so are crepes but the thought of those thick flap jacks dripping with maple syrup can really make them homesick. I have already told you what a fiasco it was when two of our Elders decided to treat an investigating family to that traditional breakfast treat by making them from scratch. I told them never to try that again without my permission and supervision. So... Ben and I went to the base commissary and decided to bring back a box of pancake mix for these culinary drop outs. There were two different types of mix on the shelf. One that required milk and eggs added to the mix and the other is complete and you "just add water" of course we bought the second. We also just had to buy the HUGE bottle of syrup to go along with that.

Now the moral of this story (if you have not yet stopped reading)..... We have some very interesting investigators here in Belgium. Some are not a bit interested but very lonely and like us to come and visit, these will probably never convert, but are becoming good friends. Some accept the whole package but have some major changes to make in their lives such as divorcing their spouse and getting married to the person who they are living with now and with whom they have several children. Then we come to the ones who are living all the principals of the gospel, have a testimony of the Book of Mormon and come to church. All we have to do with them is "just add water"

I am always amazed how people change so much once they accept the gospel and are baptized. Their outlook on life improves so much. They seem to be more patient, loving and more giving. They are happier and some even develop a sense of humor. They also seem to get smarter. It is as if all those dormant brain cells have come alive and are reproducing at a tremendous rate. Understanding scriptures becomes easier when the spirit is not only present but nudging them along.

I have learned that patience is a tremendous tool with some people. The young Elders try so hard to hurry and get them baptized. They are full of vim and vigor and I admire their zeal but we will be here for 2 years and we can wait for the Lord to get them ready. We will not be transferred around like the young bucks so being patient and enduring to the end is the answer for us. I can't believe that I am finally learning that concept. I have always been the person who wanted things done "yesterday" Yes this mission has been good for me.

No comments: