Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Steegje


I loved this "steegje" (small alley) We visited with an investigator from China who lives at the end of this little pathway. I loved it. Her home was only about as big as one of our little bedrooms. The Elders have to duck just to get through the door and entry way. The main area is just big enough for a love seat and a very small table. There is a sink and stove top in the corner and no counter space. There is a small narrow very steep set of stairs that lead up to even a smaller area for sleeping. I think it would make a great play house for the grandkids but I can not imagine living there. Now that I think of it, I remember seeing some of the living conditions in China when we visited there and this is probably a dream home for them. Looking on the bright side, it is less work to keep clean and you could never collect junk. Maybe not a bad idea after all.

On a sad note, we will not be going back there again. Ellen does not really want anything to do with religion. She was interested when things were tough for her and she could not find a place to live or a place to work. The Elders in Brussels worked with her and she started to read the Book of Mormon and even started praying. Than when she got a job and a place to live here in Antwerpen she said she did not believe there was a God after all because she was able to do all of that without "His" help. She told us that she was very smart and that she did not need any fairy tales to help her in her life. I asked her to keep the Book of Mormon anyway and pick it up now and then and read in it. When we talked about a life after this one, she got angry and said she did not want to hear about that, she only wants to think of a here and now and watch as many T.V. programs as she can before she dies. What a life.

No comments: