Sunday, October 5, 2008
Apathy?
I really don't know if it is apathy or lives that are too busy, but I get the feeling that the gospel is not as important in Belgium as we had thought. We went to the ward last night to listen to the Sat. Morn. session of Conference. I went to the Dutch translation section with Scarlet and Justine and Ben went to the English session with some of the English speaking investigators. We thought the place would be packed because the whole stake was invited. Well, in the Dutch section there were only about 20 people and in the English one there were maybe 25. All those numbers included 8 missionaries and about 10 investigators. Only the 2nd counselor in the Bishopric was there and not one member of the Relief Society Presidency, we did not see the Stake Presidency at all. Maybe they came in late and left early. For me it was great to see a little of home but it did make me homesick. (Oh well, this is home now) The good news is that Scarlet and Justine really enjoyed the conference. The first hour was actually in English because one of the receivers was down and was not translated into Dutch but it started working again the last hour. Luckily Scarlet understands English and Justine a little. Scarlet translated what she thought Justine would want to hear. I could have translated but I think it ended up being better for Scarlet to listen and pass on what was needed. Some of the local members who were there actually prefer listening in English because that way they can feel the spirit of the talk which is sometimes hard to convey through a translator. Hopefully more people will show up today.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment