Monday, October 12, 2009

David's unique story

When David was just 12 years old and living along the coast of Africa he was walking along the beach one Saturday morning. As he was walking he noticed a white object on one of the bushes. As he got closer he discovered that it was a white jump suit. He held it up and realized that it was just his size so he proceeded to put it on. He walked along the beach a ways further and noticed a large group of people all dressed in white close to the water. As he approached he could see people lined up and waiting to enter the waves where two young men were baptizing one person at a time. He simply lined up with the rest of the people and he entered the water just as he had seen the others do. The two young men asked him his name and proceeded to baptized him. He was then informed that he needed to come to the church up the road on Sunday morning to be confirmed. David was very obedient and did so. He continued going each week and after he moved to the Netherlands he still went to church each week. Along the way he has gained a testimony and is very active.

My story is similar in that when I was just eight years old my father who was the branch president in Rotterdam baptized me and two of my girlfriends. I continued to go to church with him and along the way I gained a testimony and it has been growing more and more each day. I really don't think I knew what I was doing at the age of eight but I trusted my father to know that what I was doing was correct.

Many people are baptized that do not yet have a full knowledge or testimony of the gospel but that testimony will grow as they receive more knowledge and make it a matter or prayer. The Lord places us in situations in our lives where we can make choices that will set us on the right path if we just listen to the spirit. He also gives us the agency to make wrong choices and we will have to suffer the consequences. My two girl friends have since left the church and have had sad lives. I pray that someday they will find their way back.