One of the Senior sisters serving here told of an incident that happened to her. A member of her branch came to their apartment and noticed a Delft Blue piece of pottery on the shelf. She immediately picked it up to look for the trade mark on the bottom and told my friend that her piece was not "authentic" Delft Blue because it did not have the right insignia. My friend got a quick lesson on how to tell the difference from a fake and the real thing. Several days later the missionary couple was invited to the branch presidents home when she noticed a delft blue vase on the desk. When the president left the room she quickly turned the vase upside down to look for the mark. That's when it happened.... Apparently the vase had been filled with sand to keep it from falling over and all that sand landed right on top of the keyboard of his computer. At that moment she just wanted to blend into the wallpaper but the branch president did not even get upset, he just got out the vacuum cleaner and within minutes all the sand was cleaned up. She will never do that again.
I love Delft Blue pieces and I have accumulated a number of them over the years. Personally I don't care it they are "authentic" or not. When I see what I like I just buy it. Never mind looking on the bottom for the mark. I really don't care if it was made in Delft or any other town here in Holland.
When I was very young my mother started collecting Hummell figurines and when ever she had a little extra cash she would buy one. I have always loved those cute statues of children in various poses. Mom still has about a dozen of them and every time I look at them it reminds me of when I was little. I love the colors and I can spot a fake anywhere, not because of the missing mark on the bottom but because they just don't look as warm and they don't give me that comfy feeling.
Monday, October 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment