Sunday, January 3, 2010

Time for some parenting skills.





The canals are starting to freeze over so our neighbors cleared the snow off the ice and got their skates out of storage. It snowed again last night but not like in Utah. Even just a few inches of the white stuff is enough to stop the world here. Several members were not able to make it to church today because of slick roads. Riding a bike is just not safe and the bus stops running when the slightest little ice covers the roads. Our branch president almost called off church but changed his mind since we have already had to cancel once this month.

With just a few people in church this morning, we were all on double duty. Ben teaches Christian our Deacon and they both come out smiling after Priesthood meeting each week. This little guy is so eager to learn and Ben has been great at keeping him excited about learning. He will make a great missionary some day.

I had to lead the singing, and say the closing prayer in Sacrament meeting and was not planning on teaching this week so felt comfy in my chair. Well.....our Primary President and her counselor who run the whole primary by themselves were both not able to make it so yours truly was elected along with another sister to head upstairs and keep the pack busy for 2 hours. I know some primary songs but none in Dutch but thankfully we found a few posters in the closet with the words. We even came up with a few stories but not being prepared can really throw a wrench into the works. All four of our primary children have been labeled Autistic and are totally out of control. It was literally like herding a bunch of cats. We have two other families who do not come to church and all three of those children are "Autistic" as well so I'm really happy they did not choose today to start coming back.

Here in Europe the more disabilities you can add to your child's resume the more financial assistance you receive every month from the government so parents are very eager to add more to the list when ever possible. It has been a great excuse for not parenting for some people. These children are highly functional but every bit of misbehaving is blamed on Autism. My dear friend Amy back home has a beautiful little boy with autism and she has dedicated her whole life to her children. I really admire this great woman for her loving and nurturing ways and I wish I could bring her here to help the mothers of these children learn by example the importance of structure and putting your family first.

1 comment:

Becky said...

I always love reading your mission stories. It's very neat to think about how vital you are to progressing not only missionary work, but even to help the church survive sometimes. Thank you for your love, service, and dedication! I love you!